AAAARGGH! I'm working on a great project and I can't blog about it until June! This is driving me nuts! I'm going to write about it anyway and set the publish date for the wedding date.
So, as a gift to my sister, I've offered to make her wedding veil. My plan is to make it match the dress she picked out, which has a lot of apple blossom motifs on it.
Here's a detail of the dress bodice:
The skirt is made of tulle and also has some of the apple blossom motifs on it. For the veil, I wanted to create a similar effect. After studying the petals, I was able to make a pattern and create my own flowers.
To wear the veil, I planned to gather the tulle to a hair comb. After experimenting with gathering the tulle straight across, we concluded that was too poofy. I cut one end of the length of tulle in a semicircle then rounded the corners of the bottom edge, gathering a portion of the semicircle to the comb.
I decided the veil needed a little more sparkle so I added a beaded edging of size 11 silver-lined crystal seed beads around the edge. Three at a time. For a chapel length veil. Finished it at 3am the morning of the wedding.
Here's the finished product. Everyone loved it. I'll have better photos available in about a month or so when my sister gets her professional photos back. I didn't have much time to do close-ups in good light but I know the photographer took some pictures of just the veil and the hair ornament before we got Emily into her dress.